About this Blog

Hello i am Mat and i am a true food enthusiast. Cooking isn't just cooking it is more than that. It is the ingredients that you use, the way you arrange your dish and of course it is the people you share your food with that makes cooking so special. I put my heart and soul into it every time i prepare a meal for myself and others. Lot's of people spend heeps of money on shopping I spend money to get the best ingredients there are to make the best dish I can. This blog will mainly focus on food and travel but I also want to talk about everyday topics. Cant wait to read your guys comments!

Mat the German Food Ambassador

Monday 9 February 2015

Captain's log, Stardate: time to pick a place



I picked Colombia as my first destination because I wanted to arrive at a country with a mild climate, beautiful nature and of course it should be a country that is affordable. In my experience you spend more money in the first 2 weeks than in the following month simply because you dont't know how things work around here. I also wanted to find a place to relax, a place that would help me escape the daily grind. I wanted to organize my thoughts and in my experience the best places to do that are places far far away from civilization. Of course I also could have chosen some place in Europe do to that but I also feelt the need to go back to the roots. In my opinion the latin american people are way more connected to pachamama (mother earth) than we europeans are. Unlike in the US and Europe consumption in South America has not yet reached this level of madness. One reason for that might be the language barrier and another reason the bad infrastructure which is good for them. I feel like people still have good or different values over here. To me its the simple things in life that matter the most. So South America would be a good place for myself to return to better values i thought.

I didnt have any particular place or city in mind so I asked our Big Brother Google to help me find a place. I tried different combinations like relax-retreat-yoga-colombia and somehow I stumbled upon this flickr page of Varsana jardines ecologicos. It didnt take me long to realize that this was exactly the place where I needed to arrive at.

If you are travelling to a new place to me it is of great importance to have a place to arrive at. This place will serve as your safety net. It needs to be a place that pampers you right from the beginning, a place where you can let go.

The moment you step on that plane you realize what you have done and what you are about to do. You have been waiting for a long time to get to this point, working your arse off to be precise and now the fear of the unknown takes halt of your body. From one moment to another you step out of the world you were born into. You leave your family and your closest friends at home, the things that mattered most to you and gave your life stability. Many of your friends said they envy you for what you do. In this moment you envy them for being at home in their beds living their usual lifes. Hey if I wasnt in this fuckin plane I could go to the bar at the corner and have a few pints with my mates. But then you think again and you know that sitting here in this small economy class airplain seat is exactly where you want to be.
the flickr page that got me here:
https://www.flickr.com/photos/comun-unidad/sets/72157627261196214/

No comments:

Post a Comment