About this Blog

Hello i am Mat and i am a true food enthusiast. Cooking isn't just cooking it is more than that. It is the ingredients that you use, the way you arrange your dish and of course it is the people you share your food with that makes cooking so special. I put my heart and soul into it every time i prepare a meal for myself and others. Lot's of people spend heeps of money on shopping I spend money to get the best ingredients there are to make the best dish I can. This blog will mainly focus on food and travel but I also want to talk about everyday topics. Cant wait to read your guys comments!

Mat the German Food Ambassador

Tuesday 17 February 2015

Captain's log, Stardate: krishna time part 1

My feet are covered with moskito bites and my body still hurts from that damn flight. I am lying in a bunk bed. I feel cold despite the 3 blankets. I normally dont feel cold that easily but this room it something else. It's a 8 bed shared dorm on the first floor of the volunteer house. The coldest room of all (this is the room where they normally put the girls in, sorry girls). It really is the coldest, I know this because throughout the month I stayed here I slept in every single one of them.
The problem with both rooms upstairs is that they both have wooden walls. Between the planks are huge gaps so no heat insulation whatsoever. The cold night wind blows right through the room. For the future I suggest putting the boys into these quartes.

I am getting up. My cell phone tells me it is almost 1pm, lunch time at the Varsana monastary. I know this because the nun told me that last night. It was the nun that had been waiting for me in the dark that night. It was also her that gave me rice and vegetables for dinner and accommodated me into this 8 bed dorm.

The volunteer house
can you see the gaps?



outside the volunteer house



the living room





I really needed a proper warm shower but like I mentioned before you get a cold rinse for a shower. (later I found out that the upstairs shower of the volunteer house can get warm water, the secret is to turn on the water just slightly) But enough of the complaining. This place is amazing!
You realize that the moment you enter their monastary. This place is like single huge garden with the most amazing flowers, rock carvings, beautiful buildings, herb and vegetable gardens.
They have their own restaurant where they offer hadmade pastries. Pastries to die for really.
You have breakfast at 8am work till 1pm and have lunch afterwards. In the afternoon you free time and can explore the surrounding area. There are caves and waterfalls to see. It takes like an hour to get to them but it is worth it. Dinner time is at 8pm. Most of the time you go straight to bed or talk to the other volunteers after dinner. Sometimes you can watch a movie with the other volunteers (the monks and nuns are not allowed to watch with you). There is not much to do at night. You better bring your books. But also thats exactly why I came here.

The shower upstairs















a monk's artwork





a map of the monastary


volunteers will be working with this guy here. Vishnu a true hombre de la tierra
he's always like, muy despacio (slow down)!! and I am like no worries I can arrange that






No comments:

Post a Comment