About this Blog

Hello i am Mat and i am a true food enthusiast. Cooking isn't just cooking it is more than that. It is the ingredients that you use, the way you arrange your dish and of course it is the people you share your food with that makes cooking so special. I put my heart and soul into it every time i prepare a meal for myself and others. Lot's of people spend heeps of money on shopping I spend money to get the best ingredients there are to make the best dish I can. This blog will mainly focus on food and travel but I also want to talk about everyday topics. Cant wait to read your guys comments!

Mat the German Food Ambassador

Wednesday 11 February 2015

Captain's log, Stardate: time to arrive part 1

I had 2 options

Option 1 arrive in Bogota and stay over night

Option 2 go straigt to Varsana

Either way I knew I did not want to stays in Bogota for too long as I already had chosen Varsana as my first place to go to. The last time I travelled I didn't have a place to go to and I ended up going on a piss with the guys from the hostel. That night i chipped a tooth and the pillow I woke up upon was soaked with blood. I didn't want this to another time as I knew Bogota would eat me up. Option 1 was out of question.

Finally the plain landed. My whole body hurts from the shitty seat. I consider buying one of these little travel pillows that go around your neck for the next flight. Then I think again and I am like nah.. that just for pussies. The fat guy awakens. The seatbelt sign goes off and I step out of the plane into a new world. To be precise my new home.

The airport looks like every other airport in the world. Long tunnels that lead people to other long tunnels. At the end of the tunnel comes the baggage claim and afterwards customs. Man these people must have seen things in their lifes one can only imagine. They look like they just wanna go home. Overworked, stressed out and bored at the same time. This is not a nice job I think. Fortunately i got no drugs on me nor weapons so i can pass. (though i brought my 30 cm chef knive which I later learn you need a license for to carry such a thing)

Upon walking out of the airport doors I notice 3 things

No 1 Bogota airport does not lie in the middle of the jungle as some north american movies suggest.

No 2 Taxi drivers assault me from all sides with questions whether I need a ride.

No 3 Sofia is not here...


I feel tired. I haven't slept in 1 and a half days, well maybe 2 hours but does that count?? I smell like a ferret. Thats how I call this distinctive smell you have when you are travelling long distances by airplane. Au de ferret. Your sweat smells like you had

not enough space
not enough sleep
too much stress travelling (positive and negative)
too much bad airplane food
and a dash of fear

You just want to arrive somewhere. It doesn't matter where as long as there is a fuckin bed. I had arranged with sofia, a couchsurfing contact, to pick me up at the airport and drive me to the airport so I am looking for a girl carrying a sign with my name on it. Unfortunately there is none. I got her cell number so I take a quick look at my phone just to find out that my german sim card doesn't work here in this country. I got no signal.

The taxi drivers continue to pester me with their offers and they almost got me. I am actually cosidering to pay 14 fold (guys i am not lying).
But am I really going to do this??

No comments:

Post a Comment